Soft and Light Star Bread recipe | Learn how to make Star Bread with Whole Wheat Flour
Star Bread is the star attraction of any party table when served. A soft and fluffy star bread with delicious fillings that is loved by one and all. Make it with sweet fillings or Savoury, it is perfect for the Christmas or any party and gathering.
Made with Whole Wheat Flour without any maida, it is a better option for your kids especially if you are the one who always makes sure to add some healthy element in it.
Kids’ Treats is the theme for this week’s facebook group Foodie Monday Bloghop. It was my turn to suggest the themes, and since it is Christmas time, and Holidays are the time to make kids’ happy!! Though celebrations this year may be different but cooking their favourite treats is great way to cheer up the festive mood of whole house..
Move over from Veg. Puffs, Pizza, Samosas or different kinds of cutlets, try this Star Bread and trust me kids will love it be have it on the party menu.
Do checkout what my fellow bloggers turned up with for the theme.
What I need to make Star Bread
Flour- I have used Whole Wheat Flour(WF) with some amount of Semolina and Oats Flour. The texture of bread with WF is a bit dense than compared to All purpose flour but is a much healthy option than having only Maida(All Purpose Flour) breads. You can use All Purpose Flour/Maida if you want. Adjust the amount of liquid as Maida absorbs less water than Whole Wheat Flour.
Also, add ¼ Cup of Cornflour/Cornstarch, makes the whole wheat bread light.
You can also use Bread Flour available in US and other countries.
Please do not expect the texture to be like All Purpose flour bread if you are using Whole Wheat Flour.
Brand of Whole Wheat Flour/Atta used– Ashirwad/Pillsbury.
Yeast- I used dry active yeast that needs to be activated before use. Earlier I have also used Instant active yeast which is a much easier way to proof bread. You can also use fresh yeast here.
Milk, Sugar and pinch of salt.
Now here is my way to make light and soft Whole Wheat breads. Most of the time I knead the dough with Paneer Whey. It is the leftover water that remains, after straining Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese.
Checkout how to make Homemade Paneer at home. Paneer whey is very nutritious and it can be added to soups, used in kneading dough for breads, chapatis, and add lightness and softness to it.
Can I make Star Bread from store-bought Bread dough/Pizza /Croissant dough
This easy peasy bread can be surely made with premade store bought frozen dough. Open the pack and roll out the dough and follow the steps and bake as as and when required.
How to make Star bread
To make bread follow these easy steps..
Proof yeast if using Active Dry Yeast– To proof active dry yeast, take water that is just warm about to touch. If you have a food thermometer, see temperature should be around 110°. Sprinkle yeast and sugar. Mix lightly and then cover the bowl for about 10 mins. After 10 mins solution should be frothy and double in size. If there are no bubbles, throw away the mix. and make a new one.
In winters it takes a bit more time in activating the yeast than in summers.
Knead the dough– Measure the flour carefully. For that scoop out the flours and then level it with spoon. Mix the flours, milk powder and yeast solution then mix till all the flour is together and there is no dry flour. Take out on the clean counter or your kneading table and add oil. Knead it till the dough is soft and smooth. . Do not knead using your knuckles, like we knead dough for chapatis. Use the heels of your hand, rock forward and then press it flat with the heels of your hand. Fold the dough slightly , then repeat the process. Takes about 10-15 mins
First Proofing– Once the dough is smooth and shiny( whole wheat flour will have different texture than the all purpose flour dough) keep it for the first proofing in a warm place. It will take about 60 -90 mins depending on the weather. For proofing dough in Instant Pot, checkout my post for Whole Wheat Pizza Dough(Instant Pot Proofed Dough)
Roll dough and shape it– After first proof , divide dough in equal portions, knead for about 2-3 mins. the let the dough rest for 5-10 mins. Roll each portion in circular discs of 10″ diameter, the spread the filling and cover with the another layer of rolled dough.Repeat the step for all three layers..Do not apply filling on the top layer.
Cut in equal 16 portions and as shown in the pic,use a pizza cutter. Then take each portion carefully twist it and then pinch it with another adjacent portion.
Keep for second proofing that will take about 35-40 mins. and then bake. Cover the bread with cling film.
Stepwise pics for how to shape Star Bread
Pointers to make Perfect Soft and Spongy Star Bread
Knead the dough well. If you do not knead it properly it bread will be quite dense.
The dough will be sticky in beginning, keep on kneading it, add very little flour if required and then knead again. To test whether the dough is done, poke finger in the dough, it should spring back when the dough is done.
If the dough seems too dry add milk/paneer whey little by little while kneading.
Filling used in bread should not have have lot of liquid or be very chunky, you won’t be able to give proper shape to bread.
Cover it with a foil while baking bread if the top starts to brown soon.
Savoury Star Bread
- 1¾ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Semolina/Fine Sooji
- ¼ Cup Oats flour -grind rolled oats
- ¼ Cup Cornflour/Cornstarch(in US)
- ½ Cup Milk Powder see Notes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Paneer Whey/Milk see Notes
- 1+ tbsp +tsp Milk+Oil for milk wash
To Proof Yeast(if using Active Dry Yeast)
- 2½ Tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ Cup Water -just warm to touch
- Basil Pesto as required
- Mozzarella Cheese as required
Proof yeast if using Active Dry Yeast
- To proof active dry yeast, take water that is just warm about to touch.
- If you have a food thermometer, see temperature should be around 110°. Sprinkle yeast and sugar. Mix lightly and then cover the bowl for about 10 mins. After 10 mins solution should be frothy.
Knead the dough
- Measure the flours carefully. For that scoop out the flours and then level it with spoon.
- Mix the flours, milk powder, salt and then yeast solution. Get together the flours and yeast solution.
- Transfer the dough on the counter and then add oil, start kneading the dough.
- Knead it till the dough is soft and smooth. . Do not knead using your knuckles, like we knead dough for chapatis.Use the heels of your hand, rock forward and then press it flat with the heels of your hand. Fold the dough slightly , then repeat the process.Takes about 10-15 mins
- The dough will be sticky in the beginning. KEep on kneading it.. sprinkle very little flour when required. Do not add much flour as the bread will become dense and dry.
- Once the dough is smooth and shiny( whole wheat flour will have different texture than the all purpose flour dough) keep it for the first proofing in a warm place. It will take about 60 -90 mins depending on the weather. For proofing dough in Instant Pot, checkout my post for Whole Wheat Pizza Dough(Instant Pot Proofed Dough)
Roll dough and shape it
- After first proof , knead for about 2-3 mins. Then let the dough rest for -10 mins. Divide dough in 4 equal portions,
- Roll each portion in circular discs of 10" diameter, the spread the filling of your choice and cover with the another layer of rolled dough.I used Basil Pesto and Cheese for the filling. Checkout recipe for homemade Basil Pesto
- Repeat the step for all three layers..Do not apply filling on the top layer.
- Cut in equal 16 portions and as shown in the pic,use a pizza cutter. Then take each portion carefully twist it and then pinch it with another adjacent portion.
- Lightly apply melted butter on top of bread.
- Keep for second proofing that will take about 35-40 mins. and then bake. Cover the bread with cling film.
- Preheat oven to 400°F or 200 C. For OTG use the BOTH RODS ON with FAN mode and preheat for 15 mins..
- Give milk wash, for that mix a tbsp of milk with melted butter or oil then brush lightly on bread.
- Bake for about 25-30 mins at 400°F/220°C.
- Once done , take out of the oven, apply more butter on it and then serve as required.
- You can use Bread flour/All purpose flour(APF) or a mix of these flours with Whole Wheat flour.
- Semolina and Oats Flour can be omitted or also mixed with Bread Flour and APF.
- Omit Cornflour/Cornstarch when using APF or Bread Flour.
- Instead of Paneer whey use milk to knead the dough. Omit Milk Powder form the recipe and use the same amount of milk as paneer whey.
Do try this Star bread for your kids’ parties, special occasions or gatherings and wow your guests with this table attraction. Or make it just like that for dinner with your favorite Soup.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.