Tomato Apple Soup Recipe | Learn how to make Tomato Soup with goodness of Apples
Restaurant Style Tomato Soup recipe. No Cream, No Cornflour/Cornstarch and No Nuts Warm and Comforting Tomato Apple Soup loaded with good health and taste!!
Yes, a tomato soup with the goodness of fresh apples. Soups are the comfort food for winters or for the chilly rainy evenings. A HOT BOWL OF SOUP SOOTHES your senses and give comfort to body.
Tomato Soup is a hot favorite among all the age groups. So here I bring you the recipe of thick and creamy Tomato Soup without any nuts.
Try this VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUTS FREE, KID’S FRIENDLY soup which is next going to be a hot favorite in your family.
Hot Tomato soup is a great accompaniment with pasta ( Penne Pasta in Creamy Marinara Sauce, One Pot Creamy Spinach Pasta, Baked Pasta in Creamy White Sauce), macaroni (Indian Masala Macaroni) , pizza or before meals with some crusty bread croutons. My kids love this a bit sweet, a bit tangy Tomato Soup with my homemade Whole Wheat Pizza or Basil flavored homemade bread( Star Bread, Basil Pesto Bread) or cheesy grilled sandwich.
The star ingredient of this Tomato Soup is of course, red ripe Tomatoes. But, apples here add a lot of texture and taste. The soup is thick creamy with a hint of sweet and a tangy taste.
What Kind of Tomatoes and Apple to choose for the Tomato Soup
For classic Tomato Soup always choose good bright red and ripe tomatoes.
In India I use a mix of hybrid and country(desi) tomatoes. For those outside India, Roma Tomatoes or Heirloom Tomatoes are the best as per my choice.
I usually add whatever apple is available at home. This time I added Green Apples. Tough Green Apples sometimes add a tart and tangy taste to soup, but you can always balance it a with a tsp of sugar/jaggery powder or any other raw sugar. If you find Granny Smith Apples too tart then you can use any other apple of your liking.
Do checkout another interesting Soup/Rasam Recipe with tomato and apple from the blog– Apple Rasam, a South Indian spicy soup recipe.
Ingredients for Tomato Apple Soup
Tomatoes– Red, ripe and juicy tomatoes. I prefer using fresh tomatoes but you can always used canned ones.
Apples– Any juicy season fresh apples of your choice. Apples add so much of texture and richness to this delicious soup. There is no need to add cornstarch(Cornflour in India) or any kind of nuts to thicken it.
For the family of sour I use 4 tomatoes and 1 Apple. When making a large batch adjust the quantity of apples and tomatoes as per your choice.
Herbs– Fresh Basil, Ginger, Garlic, add on to the flavor and immune boasting properties. Substitute fresh basil and garlic for dry basil and garlic powder.
Whole Spices– Bay Leaf, Cloves, Black Peppercorns, and Cinnamon Stick.
Others- Salt, Sugar and Oil/Butter.
How to make Tomato Apple soup stepwise collage
You can make this so nutritious and delicious, Tomato Apple Soup a day ahead of serving. It stays good for 2-3 days in refrigerator. You can also make a big batch and freeze it in portions for consumption. Stays good for a week in freezer.
Tagging this comforting Tomato and Apple Soup to my Facebook Shh Cooking Secretly Challenge for this month’s theme. The theme was suggested by Priya Iyer, who blogs at The World Through My Eyes. Priya made Dal Ka Shorba for the theme.
For the Challenge we are paired with different co-bloggers every month. Partners give each other two secret ingredients and we cook the dishes of our choice using those two ingredients. This month my partner is Aruna Saraschandra who blogs at Vasu’s Veg Kitchen. She made this delicious Sweetcorn Veggie Soup for the two ingredients that I gave her. Visit her blog for lots of delicious south Indian recipes. I love her and have bookmarked her recipe to try out.
Tomato and Apple Soup
- Pressure cooker
- 4 Tomatoes(Medium)
- 1 Apple Granny Smith or any of your Choice
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 1" Ginger Piece
- 4-5 Basil Leaves
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 1-2 tsp Raw Sugar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil/Butter
- Salt as per taste
- Roughly chop tomatoes and green apples.
- Make a coarse paste of ginger and garlic.
Indian Pressure Cooker Recipe
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker on medium flame.
- Add bay leaf, cloves, peppercorns and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute or till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add tomatoes and apple.
- Add basil leaves, sugar, salt and mix well.
- Add water or veg. stock, close the lid and cook till 2-3 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and let the pressure go on itself.
- Open the lid and let the tomato apple mix. cool then blend to fine puree in a blender or use hand blender for ease.
- Check the seasoning and adjust as required. You can add a dollop of butter and serve hot.
Instant Pot Method
- Switch on the Instant Pot on SAUTE MODE for 5 mins.
- Add oil, then add whole spices, ginger and garlic paste and sauté for a min.
- Add tomato and apple pieces, basil leaves, then veg. stock or water, salt.
- Cancel the SAUTE mode , close the lid and set the PRESSURE COOK Mode ON for 5 mins.
- When the timer goes off, wait for a min. then do Quick Release Pressure (QRP).
- Take out bay leaf an cinnamon stick and then blend the soup to fine consistency using a hand blender or in a blender.
- Add more seasoning as per your preference and and serve hot.
Do try this delicious Vegan, Gluten-free Tomato Apple Soup for cold and chilly evening. It is not only delicious but also very nutritious. It’s a kind of DETOX SOUP with all the goodness of Green Apples and Tomatoes with immune boating herbs and spices.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!