Apple Rasam.. Traditional Rasam recipe with a healthy and nutritious option..
Rasam a South Indian Dish traditionally made with tomatoes and tamarind and toor dal or arhar dal (split pigeon pea) amd lots of pepper. It’s like a thin consistency Lentil and Tomato soup with variations like added tamarind and other spices. Rasam is one of the main dishes of South Indian Meal menu and is usually served before meals. It is also eaten with rice or vadas. I usually serve Rasam as soup and it one of the best comforting and healthy meal or appetizer. We like Tomato Rasam and love the sweet and tangy taste that comes with the addition of tomatoes and tamarind.
What is Apple Rasam..
Apple Rasam is a variation of Tomato Rasam with apples added for a healthy and nutritious twist!! and I got this recipe from Recipe Challenge group partner for this month Sandhya Ramakrishnan who blogs at My Cooking Journey. Do visit her wonderful blog for lots of amazing and interesting recipes!!
Recipe Swap Challenge is a Facebook group where the fellow bloggers are paired together and cook from each other’s(pair’s) blog.
This is my first post in the group and looking forward to trying out the recipes from other wonderful fellow bloggers.
This month, when I got paired up with Sandhya, I decided to try some bread recipe from her blog. She has an amazing collection of recipes. I, especially loved the collection of breads on her blog. Then 2-3 days back I sprained my hand and since bread making requires quite some kneading so dropped the idea. While browsing through her recipes I came across this Apple Rasam recipe. I immediately knew what I have to make. I love Rasam but I never made Apple Rasam. The recipe sounded delicious with apples and this was something what I wanted, easy, quick and simple which required less work and comforting!!
Let’s check out the recipe for Apple Rasam.
Recipe Adapted from..My Cooking Journey
- 1/4 Cup Toor/Arhar Dal/Split Pigeon Lentils
- 2 Apples(small) or 1 big
- 2 Tomatoes (Medium Sized)
- 1-2 Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Peppercorns/Whole Kali Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tsp Desi Ghee/Oil
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Desi Ghee/Oil
- Wash a soak toor dal for 5-10 minutes. Cook Dal in pressure cooker or on stove-top, till soft and mushy.
- Keep aside 1/2 apple, and puree the rest of apples with tomatoes, cumin seeds, peppercorns and green chilli.
- In a pan, add ghee, when the ghee is hot add and saute apples, till soft. This will take around 5-6 minutes.
- Once the apples are soft, add pureed tomatoes and apples.
- Add asafoetida and turmeric. add salt as required. Cook it for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- Meanwhile check Dal, mash the cooked dal with a ladle or masher.
- Add Dal to the tomato-apple mixture.
- Add 2-3 cups of water and let it boil for 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Prepare the tempering.. In a pan heat ghee, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add the tempering to rasam.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped fresh cilantro. Squeeze in some lemon juice when serving it will enhance the flavour of rasam.
Do try this version of Rasam with Apples. Kids and Rajeev liked the addition of apples in rasam. It gave the dish a sweet and tangy taste.
A vegan-friendly, fuss-free,healthy, nutritious and wholesome dish that gets ready within 30 mins. It’s gluten-free if you omit Asafoetida/Hing from it.
Sharing with Angie’s Fiesta Friday#263 .
Share your feedback whenever you make this. I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!