Let's make Luchi Aloo , a popular breakfast combo from Bengali Cuisine. Luchi is Poori(fried flatbread) made with All-purpose flour and Aloo is spicy Potato gravy that is served with Luchi.
Luchi Aloo is served along with a Bengali sweet dish. Make it for your weekend brunch or any special occasions.
About the Recipe
West Bengal is famous its rich heritage and culture. Almost every Indian is a fan of Bengali Sweets and these need no introduction. one gets mesmerized by the variety of food the cuisine has to offer. Vegetarian or non-vegetarian no one can say No to the chatpata Bengali Khaana(food).
Few years back we had a brief stay in Kolkata. We have very good memories from the City of Joy in that brief period and especially of the food there. I still remember there was a small shop near a Sai Temple which we visited every Thursday. The man there made excellent Luchi Aloo and Gulab Jamuns.It used to be our dinner most of the Thursdays. I got introduced to Luchi at this shop. Though it is a breakfast item but we enjoyed it as our late evening snack/ dinner too.
What is Luchi Aloo
For those who are not familiar with the dish, Luchi Aloo is like the Aloo Poori breakfast from Uttar Pradesh. Aloo Poori is one of the most popular breakfast or lunch item all over India. Be it Luchi Aloo or Aloo Poori nothing beats the taste when you have these freshly made on the streets. Luchi Aloo is a must make for all the Bengalis on their special occasions and festivals.
Kolkata's famous Luchi
Luchi Dough is made with All-purpose flour. To make it crispy, oil is added to the flour and flour is kneaded with water to soft dough. The dough is rolled and then fried in hot oil. Crispy Puffed up luchis are served with spicy Aloo Dum.
Aloo Dum with Panch Phoron
Popular version of Aloo or Potato gravy that is served with Luchis is Aloo Dum. A spicy potato preparation with spices and tomatoes. It is different from the Kashmiri Dum Aloo or Mughlai Dum Aloo or even Pesto Dum Aloo. If you search on net many different versions are there for Aloo Dum.
Bengali Cuisine is incomplete without mention of Panch Phoron. Panch Phoron is a spice mix that consists of Five Spices(Panch).. Fennel Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Nigella Seeds and Fenugreek Seeds. It is widely used in Bengali cuisine. With Luchi I have made Aloo using Panch Phoron spice, as we had it just like this way at the street shop in Kolkata.
I never had Luchis after we came back from Kolkata. Potatoes curries are something quite regular in my house and I make it in different ways. Rassewale Aloo Tamatar, Hing Wale Aloo, Dum Aloo, Aloo Matar, Sookhe aloo or Aloo with Panch Phoron. Potato is a versatile vegetable and you can play around with the spices and other ingredients in potato based curries.
I made Luchi Aloo this weekend for Sunday Brunch and we all had a hearty and chatpata meal. Kids loved the crispy Luchi.
Recipe inspiration from here.
Stepwise pics How to make Luchi
Alur Dum Recipe Card
Aloo Dum with Panch Phoron
- 10-12 Baby Potatoes
- 2 Tomatoes(Medium)
- Ginger piece(small 1/2")
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder as per spicy tolerance optional
- 1 tsp Panch Phoron spice mix
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/Hing
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil or any good vegetable Oil
- Boil and peel potatoes. I have used baby potatoes, you can use big potatoes and halve them.
- Puree ginger, green chillies and tomatoes.
- In a kadhai, add mustard oil, heat it till it's smoking point. Switch off the gas and let it cool a for 1-2 minutes.
- Add panch phoron spice mix and hing, when the seeds crackle, add tomato puree.
- Cook tomato puree for 2-3 minutes, then add cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and sugar. Cook for few minutes till the masala leaves oil.
- Add potatoes and mix well. Masala should coat the potatoes. well. Add 1/2 -1 cup water.
- Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes. Keep the consistency of curry as per your liking. I made it on the drier side as we I also had made Chole Masala along with it.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with Luchis or Pooris. the se go well with rotis or paranthas also.
Luchi Recipe Card
- 2 Cup All-Purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- Oil for Frying
- Mix salt, whole wheat flour and oil in all-purpose flour.
- Rub the flour with fingers, so that the oil incorporates uniformly in flour and it resembles bread crumb like coarse mixture.
- Knead to a stiff dough using water.Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small tennis ball sized portions. Roll each portion into a small circular disc. Refer the pic for the same. Similarly roll all the dough portions.
- When ready to make, heat oil for frying ina kadhai or heavy bottomed pan.
- For frying, heat enough oil in kadhai or heavy bottomed pan.
- Drop a small dough portion when it rises instantly,deep fry in hot oil. till golden brown.
- Serve hot with Aloo Dum or any potato gravy and it even goes well with Chole Masala.
Do make Luchi Aloo my way and enjoy a hearty Bengali Brunch this weekend. The spice level in Aloo curry can be adjusted as per your taste.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!