Indian Masala Macaroni
Elbow Macaroni (pasta) (of Mac N Cheese fame!!) cooked in onion- tomato masala flavoured with Indian spices like Pav-bhaji Masala and Garam Masala. It is an easy to cook easy, simple dish that can be made for breakfast, quick dinner or for lunchboxes. Masala macaroni is also a favourite among the kids , in fact my kids like this version of macaroni pasta more than mac-n-cheese.
The taste and flavour of the masala macaroni comes with the use of tomatoes and tomato-ketchup along with pav-bhaji masala.Check the recipe for another yummy dish Pav Bhaji using this masala. I like to add finely chopped bell-peppers, grated carrots(instead of finely chopping) and spring onions. You can also add other veggies like peas. Top it butter and some grated cheese and enjoy the yummy bowl masala macaroni!!
Let’s see how I make this yummy and quick Masala Macaroni!!
Indian Masala Macroni
- 1 Cup Elbow Macaroni
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 2 Tomatoes(Pureed)
- 1/4 Cup Bell Peppers(Finely Chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Carrot(Finely chopped or grated)
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2" Ginger piece
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1/2-1 Tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder or as required
- 1-2 Oil
- Spring Onion Greens/Coriander(Finely chopped) for garnish
- Take 2 cups water in a pan and boil. When it starts to boil, add macaroni and cook it till al-dente.
- Roughly crush ginger-garlic in a mortar-pestle.
- In another pan, add oil, when it is hot enough add jeera/cumin seeds, once the seeds crackle, add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add onions and saute till the light pink.
- Add bell peppers and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add sugar, carrots and spices and mix well.
- Add macaroni and toss in masala.
- Add tomato ketchup and 2-3 tbsp of water, cook for another 2 minutes, tossing the macaroni. Add chopped fresh cilantro/coriander and serve hot.
- Pav Bhaji Masala is available at Indian Grocery stores. It is optional, you can skip it if you want, add garam masala instead.
I pack it for kids lunch, in thermos flasks, so that they can have warm macaroni masala for lunch. A kind of wholesome meal for kids with veggies like bell peppers and carrots. Macaroni added to different dishes, like baked vegetable casseroles, soups and salads.
If you haven’t tried this Indian version macaroni pasta, do try it. I am sure that you are going to love this masala macaroni.
Check out other Lunch box dishes for kids.. Palak aur Kabuli Chane ka Pulao(Spinach and Chickpea Pilaf), Vegetable Fried Rice, Palak Paneer Parantha and many more…
Linking it to #97Blogging Marathon Day 1 Week 1 where the theme is Kid’s Delight – Lunch Box Dishes in 30 minutes
Do try this easy Indian Masala Macaroni recipe, and give let me know how you liked it!! I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails by following the blog and on my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.