Soft fluffy spongy Ildi recipe with Cooked or Leftover Rice | Instant Idli Recipe using Leftover Rice
Instant Idli recipe using cooked rice or leftover rice.
Looking for a quick way to make your favorite Idli without any fermentation? We all use leftover steamed rice for recipes like Fried Rice, Lemon Rice. Or use it in making these delicious cutlets(Dal Chawal Cutlets).. Now do something different with a bowl of cooked/leftover rice.
Make these super soft and fluffy Idlis for breakfast or brunch with Sambhar.
What a coincident my last post was Mixed Dal Dosa, where making dosa does not require fermenting the batter.
Idlis are steamed cakes made with fermented rice and lentil batter. One of the healthiest breakfast/meal option that is vegan-friendly, gluten-free and requires very less or absolutely no oil.
Fermentation of Ildi takes a lot of time about a total of 10-12 hrs, though it is worth all the efforts. But so many times we get Idli cravings and have no time to soak dal and rice or ferment the batter. For those times, make Instant Idli, using curd and semolina. Check out the recipes of Instant Idlis on the blog using Semolina/Sooji(Instant Rava Idli) or with Finger millet flour(Instant Ragi Ildi).
These soft Instant Ildis are not Vegan and Gluten-free unlike traditional fermented Idli made with rice and urad dal/split black gram lentil are Vegan and Gluten-free.
Let’s make Instant Idli with Cooked or Leftover Rice
Ingredients for Idlis with Cooked Rice
Only 4 ingredients are used to make these soft Idlis.
Cooked Rice, Semolina/Sooji or Rava , Yogurt/Curd (preferably a sour), Eno Salt, Salt and water to adjust the consistency.
In case you don’t have ENO Substitute it with 1/2 Tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice.
Semolina and ENO Sat is available in Indian Grocery stores.
To make check out the recipe card and detailed Instructional video..CLICK HERE
Instant Idli with Cooked Rice(Leftover Rice)
- Idli Steamer
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Ladle
- 1 Cup Cooked Rice
- 1 Cup Semolina/Rava/Sooji
- ¾ Cup Plain Curd/ Yogurt
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Eno Salt
- Water to adjust the consistency
- In a blender/mixer add cooked rice with about ½ Cup water.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Transfer rice paste to a bowl.
- Add semolina, curd/yogurt, salt and about ¼ Cup water. Mix nicely.
- Cover and keep the batter aside for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, grease Idli tray molds lightly with oil.
- Fill steamer ¼ level. When water starts boiling
- After 10 mins., add 2 tsp of ENO fruit salt.
- Mix lightly. Do not over-beat the batter.
- Pour batter in idli molds.
- Immediately keep trays in steamer, cover and steam idli for about 10-12 mins.
- Once done, check Idlis, insert a tooth pick, it should come out clean.
- Take out cooked Idli from the molds. Using spoon of Idli are sticking to idli plate/mold.
- Serve with Chutney and Sambhar.
Do make these soft and fluffy Instant Idlis using cooked rice.. a hearty and filling breakfast or brunch with spicy chutney and Sambhar.
You can use these Idlis to make Masala Idlis or Chilli Idli. you can male and serve it as starter or snack for your parties or for kids lunch box.
Whenever you make it do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!