Last Updated on
Mixed Dal Dosa Recipe | How to make no fermentation,low oil protein rich Mixed Dal Dosa
Healthy, Protein Rich, No fermentation Dosa recipe with mixed lentils for breakfast or light meal option. This Mixed Dal Dosa is super easy to make and no extra cooking skills or equipment, are required.
It is vegan and gluten-free, made in less oil and filling meal for all age groups.
One of the best ways to feed lentils to fussy kids and kids toddlers and does not require much of cooking time.Many times it is difficult to feed different kinds of dal to kids and they get bored also with the same kind of food. So cook something different and nutritious and which they can finish happily with their ketchup or aloo masala(dry potato curry eaten as side dish).
Lentils — a budget friendly and protein packed ingredient
Lentils are great source of protein, fibers and other vital minerals and vitamins fro vegetarians and people who follow plant based diets. In Indian Cuisine, lentils or lentil flour like chickpea four are used widely and in lot of variations. Dals, Curries, snack items, flat breads and desserts.
We can make so many different things with lentils when we run out of veggies. These are budget friendly and can also be prepared in short duration.
These are lot of lentil based recipes on the blog.. listing a few ..
Dosa are traditional Indian crepes or pancakes, which originated in South India but are now popular all over India. Dosa can be made with or without fermented batter, the Instant way!
There are many other variations of Instant Dosa. Lentils, Rice and Millets can all be used to make nutritious and healthy Dosa. You can use lentil flour or millets flour or soak lentils/millets for a couple of hrs, grind to smooth paste and make Dosa.
Besan Chilla from North India also known as Pudla in Maharashtra are made with Chickpea Flour.
Instant Ragi Dosa, made with Ragi or Finger Millet Flour
Mixed Sprouts and Quinoa Dosa made with Moong Sprouts and Quinoa.
Mixed Lentil Dosa in India is known with different names in different regional languages. Adai Dosa in Telugu, Bele Dosa in Kannada, Panchratna dosa in Hindi as it is made with 5 different types of dals/lentils.
You can add soaked rice/poha(rice flakes)/soaked daliya(cracked wheat) or rice flour. You can also use cornflour to get the crispness if you do not have the above ingredients.
The Shh Challenge Cooking Secretly
Linking my Instant Mixed Dal Dosa, to Shh Cooking Secretly Challenge.
This month’s Challenge in our Facebook group Shh Cooking Secretly we are making Pancakes as suggested by Archana who blogs at The Mad Scientist Kitchen. She suggested all the bloggers cook different types of pancakes using two ingredients given to us by our partner. Archana made these fluffy and spongy Japanese Pancakes. Do check out her blog for lot nutritious and yumm recipes.
This month my partner is talented Sujata Roy who blogs at Batter Up with Sujata. If you are fan of or want to try Bengali Cuisine or if you are looking fro gluten free baking recipes, her blog is a must check on.I am soon going to try her healthy Beetroot Dal.
She gave Ginger and Cumin Seeds to me and I gave her Chaat Masala and Green Chilli . She prepared has prepared these delicious and nutritious Gluten-free and Vegan Pancakes with carrot and bottle gourd.
Let’s see how to make Instant Mixed Dal/Lentil Dosa
Ingredients for Mixed Lentil Dosa
I have used 5 different dal here. But if you do not have all the five dals available you can still make it.Only essential ingredient is Urad Dal/Split Black Gram with or without skin. This dal adds on to the crispness in dosa.
I have used Split Moong (Yellow and Green), Red Lentils, Split Black Gram (with and without skin). You can also add 1/4 cup of Chana Dal or Toor Dal. Add 1/2 cup of Poha for the extra crispness. As mentioned above, you can add /14 cup of Rice flour, or even cornflour if you don’t have Rice flour.
I usually soak dal at night before sleeping, grind the batter in morning and make dosa for breakfast. The batter stays good for next 2-3 days. Never freezed the batter so can’t comment on it.
Did you know that same dal combination you can make Dal ke pakore( deep fried fritters) ?? or add chana dal along with other dal and make Panchratna Dal that is served with famous Baatis of Dal Baati fame.
Few points to keep in mind, to make perfect dosa.. without the batter sticking on the griddle
–Griddle should not be very hot, it will not spread properly and if the griddle is cold batter will stick to it. Make Dosa on medium hot griddle.
–Batter should not be too runny or too thick as it it will not spread properly.
–Grind Dal to fine batter, it should not be gritty.
–After grinding keep batter to rest fro about 15 mins.
Recipe Card for Mixed Dal Dosa
Healthy Mixed Dal Dosa
- Grinder/Food Processor
- ¼ Cup Split Black Lentil(without skin)/Dhuli Urad
- ¼ Cup Split Black Lentil( with skin)/Chikla Urad
- ¼ Cup Split Yellow Moong/Dhuli Moong
- ¼ Cup Split Green Moong/Hari Moong Chikla
- ¼ Cup Red Lentil/Dhuli Masoor
- ½ Cup Rice flakes
- 2-3 Green Chilies
- Ginger Piece(1")
- 1-2 tsp Cumin Seeds optional
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds optional
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves optional
- Oil/Ghee to make Dosa
- Wash all the dals nicely in tap water 2-3 times.
- Soak dal in enough water for at least 2-3 hrs. You can soak overnight also.
- Soak poha in water 10-15 before making dosa. If using thin poha,soak just before adding it for grinding. Drain water and then add with dal.
- When ready to make ,drain water from soaked dal.
- Transfer to grinder/blender add about ½ Cup water, add ginger, green chillies, cumin seeds and salt. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Batter should be smooth and not of very thin consistency.
- To check the consistency of batter, dip a spoon in batter and take it out. It should coat nicely the back of spoon.
- Keep the batter to rest for about 15-20 min.
- Heat a griddle on medium flame. Splash some water. It should sizzle. Griddle is ready for making dosa,
- Drop a ladle full of batter in griddle and immediately spread it in circular motion., just like crepes or pancake batter.
- Drop oil or ghee, let it cook for a minute. The sides of dosa will start to leave once the dosa is cooked from bottom.
- Flip it with the help of spatula and cook for few seconds from the other side also.
- Serve hot with chutney or ketchup. Kids will love to have it with Aloo masala.
Do try these nutritious Dal dosa. Ideal for quick breakfast. If you now that you are going to be busy for next few days, make a batch of it and keep in refrigerator and use whenever required .
Hope you and your family enjoys this delicious protein packed dosa as much as we love to have these.
Check more such meals and rice dishes.. A-Z Collection of Rice Pulao, Biryani and Khichdi
Whenever you make it do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!