Kurkuri Bhindi Recipe | How to make Kurkuri Bhindi(Baked Air Fried Method, and Shallow Fried)
Kurkuri Bhindi or Crispy Okra is a delicious Okra preparation served as side dish with meal combos like Dal Rice, or North Indian and Rajasthani Thali. You can also serve it as snack with tea. My kids also like to have it with tomato ketchup.
Crispy Bhindi is Gluten-free and Vegan friendly. Traditional way to make this is deep frying, but now with the convenience of oven and air fryer in our home we can make low oil version (especially for those on low oil diets). But my favourite remains deep fried..
Bhindi or Okra
Okra is known as Bhindi in India Sub continent is one of the most popular vegetable, is a summer vegetable. Now a days is available all through out the year.
Bhindi or Okra is also known as Lady’s Finger in India. It should not be confused with Lady’s Fingers biscuits/cookies that are used in Tiramisu recipes.
In India, every state has it’s own way of making this humble veggie. Bhindi Masala or simply as we call it Bhindi ki Subzi is North Indian way of making it with spices and onions. Besanwali Masala Bhindi is made with chickpea four/besan and different spices.
If you want a change from your regular okra/bhindi subzi, try this crispy fried bhindi..
What is Kurkuri Bhindi or Crispy Okra
A traditional okra dish, where okra/bhindi stripes are coated in masalas like turmeric powder, coriander powder, fennel seeds, ajwain mixed in besan/chickpea flour and cornflour(cornstarch) and deep fried.
To make it more tangy and tasty, sprinkle chaat masala when it is hot, out of kadhai/pan.
Can I make it ahead and store
Crispy Okra is best when consumed fresh and hot, and also on the day it is made but you can always make it ahead, cool completely and then put in an air tight container for couple of hrs. Re-heat in an oven or OTG or on convection mode in microwave oven for 10 mins or on preheat mode and serve hot.
What I need to make Crispy Bhindi
Preferably take long slender fresh okra. Thick and over ripe okra has lot of seeds which are not palatable and it takes long time cut and clean the seeds.
Wash nicely and make sure to dry the vegetable completely. Use a clean kitchen towel.
To coat bhindi stripes or bind masala properly, besan and cornstarch or rice flour is added.
Spices used– Turmeric Powder, Coriander and Cumin Powder, Fennel Powder, Amchur/Dry Mango Powder, Salt.
How to cut okra to make Kurkuri Bhindi
Cut clean and dry okra pieces stripes. For that cut it in half. Then cut the half in half again(if you think slices are too thick). If there are lot of seeds, carefully clean it using a knife.
Steps to prepare Crispy Okra
In a clean and dry bowl, add all the okra strips add a tsp of oil and coat nicely on okra. Mix with hands. Add besan/chickpea flour, cornstarch or rice flour, all the spices. Mix nicely coating all the okra. Add a tsp of oil again to coat nicely. If having any difficulty in binding the flour and spices, add 1-2 tsp of lemon juice and mix nicely.
Steps to prepare masala coated okra
To make in Air Fryer
Steps to to bake
Steps to Fry Okra
Pls. Note.. Fry Okra in very hot oil. Do not keep okra pieces coated for long at it may leave water and pieces may stick together while frying. Drop 1-2 piece and check. It should sizzle up and rise. Do not add lot of oil while frying.
Detailed Air Fryer/ Baked and Shallow Frying Steps in Recipe Card
Kurkuri Bhindi/Crispy Okra
- Kadhai/Heavy Bottomed Pan for Frying
- Air Fryer for Air Frying
- Oven/Convectional Microwave Oven for Baking
- Mixing Bowl
- Chopping Board
- 200 gm Fresh Long and Slender Okra/Bhindi
- ¼ Cup Chickpea Flour/Besan
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch(Cornflour)/Rice Flour
- ½ tsp Caraway Seeds/Ajwain
- 1-2 tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coarse Fennel(Saunf) Seeds Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder or as per taste
- 1 tsp Amchur/Dry Mango Powder use as required
- Salt as per taste
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- Chaat Masala as required to sprinkle
- Wash nicely and clean dry the veggie on dry and clean kitchen towel.
- Cut the head and pointed tip of all the bhindi pieces.
- Cut each piece in half. Then again cut each half in half again, depending on the thickness of bhindi pieces.
- Carefully take out the seeded pit from the center.
- Repeat for all the pieces.
Mixing with spices
- Add a tsp of oil to the cut pieces, nicely coat to all okra pieces.
- Add besan, cornstarch, all the spices and half of the salt as required.
- Add a 1-2 tsp of lemon juice to bind masala nicely .
- Mix nicely coating all the okra. Make sure all the spices and flour is nicely coated.
- Keep for 5-10 mins.
Shallow Frying Method
- Heat oil in a kadhai/heavy bottomed pan.
- Once the oil is hot enough(drop on piece and check ( It should sizzle).
- Drop all the pieces carefully. If all the pieces are sticking together use a fork to carefully separate it.
- Fry till okra is crispy and nicely fried.
Oven Baked Method
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 350°F.
- Line all the coated okra pieces on a baking tray.
- Bake for about 15 mins till crispy.
Air Fryer Method
- Preheat air Fry on Air Fry Mode at 200°C or 350°F.
- Line okra pieces on basket. Set the timer for 20-22 mins. Start Air frying and then when indicator shows 'TURN FOOD' , turn the pieces and air fry for another 10 mins or as required.
- Brush more oil if you feel okra is too dry.
- Sprinkle Chaat Masala as required on hot bhindi pieces. Enjoy with your tea as snack with ketchup or serve with meals such as dal rice combos.
Do try this different way of making okra for snacks or meals combos. A fun snack for movie night or game night or get together with friends. All the ingredients are easily available at your nearest Indian Grocery stores.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!