Dahi Turai ki Sabji is a creamy vegetable curry in yogurt based gravy, a no onion no garlic and no tomato curry.
It is a Gluten-free friendly(without asafetida) and Vegan friendly (plant based yogurt) curry. It is light on stomach and has several health benefits. You can have it on fasting days or days when you abstain from onion and garlic in your food.
Serve Turai ki Sabji with dal rice or chapatis or paratha for a hearty and filling meal.
About the recipe
Dahi Turai is a simple vegetable made in creamy yogurt gravy. It is a no onion no garlic curry and can be consumed on fasting days and be included in diet of people who are on satvik and detox diets.
Ridge Gourd/Turai is a blend vegetable and many people avoid it. But, you can make it in delcious ways in onion tomato masala or this yogurt gravy.
Turai and it's benefits
Turai is Ridge Groud is basically a summer vegetable and comes in two variants. One is smooth surface and the other with rough and ridges surface.
It is low in calories and as cooling properties. It is loaded with fibres and health friendly ingredients like Vit. A, Vit. C, potatssium, magnesium, zinc, copper and selenieum.
It helps in reliving constipation as it is rich in fibe and water. It benefits liver as it helps in clearing out the toxins and also aids in weight loss.
Ingredients to make Dahi Turai ki Subzi
Turai- I have used the smooth ridge groud in the recipe. You can also use the other variety.
Yogurt- Use fresh thick creamy yogurt. IT can be a day old but not very old as it will give a sour taste to the curry.
Besan/Chickpea FLour/Gram Flour- Acts a binder for the yogurt gravy.
Spices- Combination of spices are used in the reicpe to make it flavourful. Coriander, powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, red chilli powder.
Oil- I use mustard oil, you can use any plant oil like rice barn, corn, olive or peanut oil.
How to make Dahi Tuari ki Sabji
Wash nicely and peel turai. Cut into thin roundles. You can also cut the vegetable vertically in half and then cut in thin slices.
In bowl mix yogurt with besan and spices. Mix it nicely to a smooth mix. Add about 1 cup water and mix.
Heat oil in kadhai/thick bottom pan.
Add cumin seeds and asafeotida(skip or add gluten- free for those with gluten allergies).
When seeds crackle, add the yogurt mixture. Keep on stirring the yogurt mixture, else yogurt will curdle.
Cook for a couple of minutes on low flame, when yogurt misture starts getting thick, add cut vegetable.
Add garam masala and salt. Cover and cook till turai starts to soften and the gravy thickens.
Substitute for Turai in this yogurt based no onion garlic gravy
You can add jeera tadka or serve it just like that granished with fresh coriander.
You can add chopped and sauteed bottle gourd or zucchinni in the recipe.
Bottle gourd/Lauki kofta or mix vegetable kofta can also be added in this gravy.
Simple add some boondi or boiled and fried potato or arbi.
Some No Onion No Garlic Vegetables from the blog
In India we have days when many people abstain from eating onion and garlic. Month like Shravan/Saawan and Navratri fasting when people perfer satvik food without onion and garlic. Like Rassewale Aloo Tamatar, Matar Paneer
Checkout more No Onion No Garlic recipes HERE
Frequently Asked Questions
Since it is a curd/yogurt curry, refrigerate the leftovers and finish by the next day.
I won;t recommend freezing this curry. As, it is a yogurt based based curry and the texture might change and the yogurt might spilt, after we thaw it and reheat it.
Related recipes with yogurt gravy
Dahi Turai Sabji
- 500 gm Turai/Ridge Gourd smooth/ridges
- 2 tbsp Besan/Chickpea Flour/Gramflour
- ½ cup Yogurt (curd)
- Ginger (small piece)
- 1 Green Chillies (optional) as per taste
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- a pinch Asafeotida
- ¼ tsp Ajwain/Caraway Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil/any prefered oil plant based
- Wash nicely and peel turai. Cut into thin roundles. You can also cut the vegetable vertically in half and then cut in thin slices.500 gm Turai/Ridge Gourd
- In bowl mix yogurt with besan and spices. Mix it nicely to a smooth mix. Add water and mix.2 tbsp Besan/Chickpea Flour/Gramflour, ½ cup Yogurt (curd), 1 tsp Coriander Powder, ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder, ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Coarsely cursh ginger and green chilli.Ginger (small piece), 1 Green Chillies (optional)
- Heat oil in kadhai/thick bottom pan.2 tbsp Mustard oil/any prefered oil
- Add cumin seeds and asafeotida(skip or add gluten- free for those with gluten allergies).½ tsp Cumin Seeds, a pinch Asafeotida
- When seeds crackle, add ajwain and then ginger and green chillies.¼ tsp Ajwain/Caraway Seeds
- Cook for a couple of minutes on low flame, when yogurt mixture starts getting thick, add cut vegetable.
- Add garam masala and salt. Cover and cook till turai starts to soften and the gravy thickens.Salt as per taste, ½ tsp Garam Masala
- You can add jeera tadka or serve it just like that granished with fresh coriander
Do try this simple but delicious Turai ki sabji. Those who don't like turai will also love this curry.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!