Mix. Veg. Daliya/Dalia or Namkeen Dalia Recipe | Learn how to make Broken Wheat Pulao or Namkeen Dalia (Stove top Pan, Pressure Cooker and Instant Pot Recipe included)
Namkeen Dalia is a one pot very healthy and light meal made with mixed veggies and cracked wheat or broken wheat. It is high in fibre and protein and is easy to digest. It is a simple and easy to cook meal which is ready within 20 mins. from start to finish. An ideal breakfast and light dinner option for your whole family.
- What is Daliya/Daliya
- Namkeen Dalia or Pulao Recipe
- Ingredients to make Namkeen Dalia or Dalia Pulao
- How to prepare Namkeen Dalia or Broken Wheat Pulao(in pan)
- How to Cook Namkeen Dalia in Pressure Cooker
- Serving Suggestions
- Some nutritious, easy to make and healthy breakfast and light meal recipes from the blog
- Frequently asked questions
- Recipe Card for Cracked Wheat Pulao/Namkeen Dalia
- Namkeen Dalia/Daliya or Cracked Wheat Pulao
What is Daliya/Daliya
Dalia in hindi or local dilect is any broken grain. It can of Wheat, Corn, Barley etc.
In this post I am covering Wheat Dalia popularly known as Cracked Wheat or Broken Wheat.
Some of the other names of Wheat Dalia from different regions in India are Lapsi, Fada, Samba Rava.
Dalia is Wheat grain broken into smaller particles which retains the outer covering of the grain/barn. It is a rich source of protein, iron and fiber and Vit B6.
Dalia is consumed in both sweet and savory forms as one of the important breakfast items in India . One is Sweet Porridge with Dalia and nuts and the other is savory version is made with vegetables like Pulao, in form of Khichdi or Upma.
Though, Wheat Dalia is a very healthy option but, not suitable for those with Gluten allergies or Celiac disease.
Checkout how to make Cracked Wheat Dalia or Porridge or Sweet Dalia Porridge Recipe
Namkeen Dalia or Pulao Recipe
Namkeen Dalia is one of the main breakfast/light dinner option at our place. It is easy to prepare, very nutrition option for my whole family.
You can coook Dalia in a pan/kadhai, in Indian style Pressure Cooker and also in Instant Pot.
Ingredients to make Namkeen Dalia or Dalia Pulao
Dalia/Daliya/Broken Wheat- Dalia grain is available in 3 sizes Fine sized Daliya, Medium sized Daliya and Large sized Broken Grain Daliya.
For Namkeen Daliya we use medium sized daliya.
Mixed Vegetables like carrot, peas, green beans, beetroot etc.
Onion, Tomato, Onion, Ginger and Green Chillies for tadka along with Rai/Mustard Seeds or Cumin Seeds.
For fat you can use oil or ghee.
How to prepare Namkeen Dalia or Broken Wheat Pulao(in pan)
- Toast dalia for 2-3 mins. till it starts giving aroma. This reduces the cooking time of wheat grains and also add a nutty flavour to the final dish.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds or black mustard seeds. When seeds crackle, add chopped onions, coarsely crushed ginger and green chilli(optional). Sauté till onion start turning pink/translucent.
- Then chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are soft. Now add mixed vegetables. At this step you can also add coriander powder, garam masala and red chilli powder. I make it in a very simple way.
- Add roasted dalia and then water as required. for 1 cup daliya you will need about 1/2 cup water. Add more water if you want khichdi like consistency.
- Cover the pan and cook till the water evaporates.
Stepwise Pics for open pan method
How to Cook Namkeen Dalia in Pressure Cooker
In Indian pressure cooker heat oil or ghee. Follow steps upto adding water.
- Cover the lid and cook for 2-3 whistles on high flame. And, then for about 5 mins. on low flame.
- Switch off the gas and let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and check.
Serve hot and fresh Dalia with your favorite chutney or raita and even buttermilk or plain curd.
Kids love it with even tomato ketchup.
Some nutritious, easy to make and healthy breakfast and light meal recipes from the blog
Frequently asked questions
Yes you can make Dalia in Instant Pot.
Check the recipe card for details.
Namkeen Dalia tastes best when hot and fresh or finish it the same day when it is cooked. Leftovers can be refrigerated in an air tight container and consumed by next day.
Dalia is a wonderful light meal for kids and seniors in the house. An ideal meal for weight watchers and those on diet management plan. Consult your dietician before including it in your diet plan.
Those with Gluten allergies or celiac disease should avoid wheat dalia.
Bulgur Wheat is made with parboiled or steamed cracked wheat. As it is already processed/cooked, it takes just a few minutes to prepare and can be added to soups, salads or used for making pulao. Cracked wheat is made from whole wheat grains that have been crushed, broken or grounded. It is raw/unprocessed wheat. It needs to be cooked whereas Bulgur Wheat can be soaked in hot water and then used in recipes.
Recipe Card for Cracked Wheat Pulao/Namkeen Dalia
Namkeen Dalia/Daliya or Cracked Wheat Pulao
- Pressure cooker optional for Pressure Cooker Method
- Instant Pot optional for Instant Pot Method
- 1 Cup Dalia/Broken Wheat
- Mixed Vegetables as required
- small Ginger piece about ½"
- 1 Green Chilli
- ½ tsp Black Mustard Seeds(Rai) or Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 1 small Onion
- 1 small Tomato
- Salt as per taste
- Take half a cup of Daliya/Broken Wheat. Dry roast it in a pan, till it gives the aroma and starts turning light brown. Take out of the pan and keep aside.1 Cup Dalia/Broken Wheat
- Add a tsp of ghee/oil in the same pan or a heavy bottomed pan, when the oil is warm enough, add mustard seeds/cumin seeds.½ tsp Black Mustard Seeds(Rai), 1 tbsp Oil/Ghee
- When seeds splutter add curry leaves and chopped onions, green chillies and ginger.small Ginger piece about ½", 1 Green Chilli, 1 small Onion
- Sauté till the onions are translucent, then add chopped tomato.1 small Tomato
- Cook till the tomatoes are soft, then add the vegetables. If you are using fresh peas, boil the peas separately then add to the onion-tomato masala or it will take a bit more time to cook the veggies.Mixed Vegetables as required
- Now add water and salt. Cover the pan and cook till whole water evaporates and the dalia grains are cooked. Serve hot.Salt as per taste
Pressure Cooker Method
- Follow the steps till step 5.
- Then add water, close the lid and cook for 2 whistles on high flame and 5 mins. on low flame.
- Switch off the gas, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and check.
- Serve hot.
How to make Dalia in Instant Pot
- Switch on the Instant Pot at SAUTE MODE for 5 mins.
- Roast Dalia till light brown at medium setting.
- Take out the roasted daliya and keep it aside.
- Now swtich on again the SAUTE MODE and add ghee/oil.
- Then add cumin seeds or mustard seeds. When seeds crackle, add chopped onions and ginger chillies.
- Saute till onions tuen light pink.
- Then add tomato and mixed vegetables. Cook for 1-2 mins. Keep on stirring the vegetables so that it doesn't stick to bottom of inner pot.
- Now add roasted daliya, water(about 1 cup) and salt.
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode and lose the lid and set the PRESSURE COOK Mode on for 5 mins.
- When the time is up, wait for 5 mins. and then open with QRP relase the extra pressure and then open the lid.
- Fluff Daliya and check for doneness.
- Serve hot.
If you haven't included Daliya in your meals, try it now, it a rich wholesome meal made in very minimum oil and spices.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!