Daliya or Broken Wheat is the wheat grain broken into smaller particles that retains the outer covering of the grain/barn and is a rich source of protein, iron and fiber and Vit B6. Dalia is consumed as one of the important breakfast items in Northern part of India in two forms. One is the daliya porridge where daliya grains are cooked in milk. Another form is the savory form where daliya is cooked with mixed vegetables. Broken Wheat or Daliya almost the same as the Bulgur Wheat that is commonly used in Mediterranean cuisine except that the Bulgur wheat is parboiled or steamed and takes just a few minutes to prepare and can be added to soups, salads or used for making pilafs. Cracked wheat is made from whole wheat grains that have been crushed, broken or grounded. Namkeen Daliya as it is known in our local language has been one of the main breakfast item at my parents home and I too make it in both the forms (sweet porridge and savory). It is easy to prepare, very nutritious for all the age groups and sets you up for the long day ahead.
Mix Veg. Daliya is prepared by cooking daliya like pilaf or pulao. You can make it in the pressure cooker or in a pan. Daliya can be easily made in instant pots too, the recipe will be same for cooking in Instant Pot only check the cook time and settings in the manual. You can use any vegetables of your choice.. I usually add carrots, peas, beans. Made in very less oil and almost no spices, it is one of the healthiest breakfast recipes. Let's see how I make this simple and so healthy Mixed Veg Daliya.
Mix Veg Daliya/ Namkeen Daliya
Daliya or Broken Wheat cooked with mixed vegetables to make a wholesome breakfast. How to Cook Mix Veg Daliya or Broken Wheat Pilaf
- Daliya/Broken Wheat- 1/2 Cup
- Finely Chopped Onions- 1/2 cup
- Finely Chopped Tomato- 1
- Peas- 1/2 Cup
- Carrots(finely chopped)- 2 Tbsp
- Beans(Chopped Finely)- 2 Tbsp
- Curry Leaves- 4-5
- Mustard Seeds/Cumin Seeds- 1 Tsp
- Desi Ghee/Oil- 1 Tsp
- Ginger(Chopped)- 1 Tsp
- Green Chillies(Chopped)- 1-2(As per spice level)
- Salt as per taste
- Take half a cup of Daliya/Broken Wheat. Dry roast it in a pan, till it gives the aroma and starts turning light brown. Take out of the pan and keep aside.
- Add a tsp of ghee/oil in the same pan or a heavy bottomed pan, when the oil is warm enough, add mustard seeds, once the seeds splutter add curry leaves and chopped onions, green chillies and ginger.
- Saute till the onions are translucent, then add chopped tomato.
- Cook till the tomatoes are soft, then add the vegetables. If you are using fresh peas, boil the peas separately then add to the onion-tomato masala. Add 1/4 cup of water mix and cover the pan, keep the flame to low. Let the vegetables cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the roasted daliya and add around a half a cup of water, add salt and cover and cook it for 5 minutes or till the water evaporates.
- Take it off the flame and fluff it lightly and keep it covered for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with any chutney of your choice, some yogurt or with a glass of juice or hot chai.
If you haven't included Dhaliya in your breakfast options, try it now, it a rich wholesome meal made in very minimum oil and spices. It is vegan but since it is made from cracked wheat, not suitable for those who are prone to gluten allergies.
Do give me your feedback in comments section, rate this post how you liked it and if you haven't yet subscribed to the blog, click on the follow button to get updates and latest posts from the blog.
If you like my work do share it with your loved ones and whenever you try any recipe from the blog, don't forget to post the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram and Twitter and Pin the recipes for later use.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back for more healthy, yummy recipes!!