Nutella and Nuts Gujiya or Gujia.. Indian Gujiya/Empanadas/Pastry filled with Nutella, Nuts and Coconut flakes. A twist on the traditional Gujiya..
Holi a festival of colors, time celebrate with friends and family. People gather together, greet each other and party!! Putting the Holi colors on each other is a tradition and enjoyed by everyone. Every celebration/festival is associated with some traditional food. Like Holi celebrations are incomplete without Bonfire lighting and colors, Holi is incomplete without Gujiyas, Mathri, Dahi Bhalle/ Vade other snacks.
Fusion of Flavours..
Gujiya are the Indian pastry filled with dry fruits, coconut and mawa(evaporated ilk solids) with variations in the filing in every region of India. Last year on Holi I had posted the traditional Gujiya recipe for the festival. This year I decided to post a fusion recipe of Gujiya that will be hit among everyone especially, the kids, with everyone's favourite Nutella, nuts(cashews and almonds) and coconut flakes. Last year also I wanted to post this but could not get time to write the post due to busy schedule. I wanted to add Hazelnuts with Nutella to give it a Ferrero Rocher touch,but to my bad didn't get hazelnuts when I needed. But cashew nuts and walnuts worked well and my kids loved these gujiyas with there favourite Nutella.
What I need to make Gujiyas..
The outer covering of gujiya is made with all-purpose flour and ghee. Ghee is rubbed in the flour, till the flour resembles bread crumb consistency. Knead the flour with milk to soft dough. This gives a flakier gujiya.This time added some Semolina flour also to make the dough for the outer covering.
Baked or Fried Gujiyas...
Traditional method is frying the Gujiyas but these days many people make baked Gujiyas also, due to health reasons. The texture the baked Gujiya will be different from the fried ones. You can choose any of the method as per your choice.
Few points to take care of while making Gujiyas..
- Do not knead a hard dough.
- Do not overfill the covering as it tear while frying
- While frying keep the flame to low so that the pastry cooked uniformly both from inside and outside.
- When baking, give milk wash.
Let's see how I make gave the Nutella Twist to the Traditional Gujiyas..
Nutella and Nut Gujiyas
- 3/4+2 Cup+tbsp All Purpose Flour/Maida
- 2 Tbsp Semolina
- 1/2 Cup Nutella
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Dried Nuts(Finely Chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut flakes
- 2 Tbsp Ghee/Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Mix flours and salt together.
- Add ghee/ oil and rub into the flour till it gets the bread-crumb like consistency.
- Knead to a soft dough using milk. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and keep it aside.
- Finely chop all the nuts. Roast coconut flakes.
- In a bowl mix nutella, chopped nuts and coconut.
- Divide the dough into equal tennis ball sized portions, roll into a very thin disc, as shown in the pic.
- Keep a tbsp of filling in the center, and fold it into half semi-circle. Refer the pics.
- Put the maid aslurry to seal the edges and press the sides with fork.
- Heat oil in kadhai or heavy bottom pan. Drop gujiyas one oby one in warm oil. Please take care that the oil should not be hot, else gujiyas will not cook from inside, and outer covering will bubble up.
- Fry till light brown, take out once done on a kitchen towel.
- Roll in coconut flakes or drizzle some chocolate and enjoy ..
- In place of Nutella you can add melted chocolate or ven chocolate chips with the nuts.
- Choose any nuts of your choice, if you have Hazelnuts that will be a great addition to these gujiyas.
- Want to bake the Gujiyas?? Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C, and bake for around 30 mins.Give milk wash before baking.
I drizzled some nutella or milk chocolate or erizles these Gujiyas with White Chocolate. You can drizzle some nutella or milk chocolate or enjoy just like that.
So do try these Nutella Gujiyas this Holi. I am sure you and your loved ones will surely enjoy these nutella gujiyas!!
Linking my post to my Facebook Group.. Healthy Wellthy Cuisine where everyone is making their versions of Gujiyas for Holi!! #GujiaDelightatHW
Check out what my fellow bloggers have made for the Gujia Delight..
Chocolate Gujia With Puff Pastry-Shalu Jain
Apple Pie Karanji / Gujiya-Sasmita Sahoo Samanta
Coconut Mawa Gujiya-Geetanjali Tung
Apple Guijya-Vanitha Bhatt
Karchikayi- Jayshree Taro
I shall be happy to see your feedback whenever you make these. I will be glad to see the pics on any of my social media handles. FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) . You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Thanks for stopping by!!