Chatpate Kale Chane(Black Chickpeas or Black Gram) is a specialty of Jaisalmer(Rajasthan,India) also known as Jaisalmeri Kale Chane. I got from one of the Neeta Mehta’s recipe book on Rajasthani Cuisine gifted to me around 12-13 yrs back by one of my dearest friend, since then the recipe has stayed with me!! I have spent my college days in Rajasthan and I am a big fan of Rajasthani cuisine be it kadhi kachori,daal-baati, papad ki sabzi or lehsun ki chutney(will be updating all recipes gradually). My kids love Kale Chana Masala where kale chane (cooked in onion tomato masala gravy) and enjoy it with rice but here for this dish, kale chane cooked in a gravy of yogurt/curd and besan(chickpea flour), it’s like the Kale Chane Kadhi but on the drier side and goes well with any of the flatbreads like Chapati, Paranthas. This time I made this for our Sunday brunch with stuffed Aloo Kulcha. A hearty meal that is enjoyed by kids also!!
Benefits of Kale Chane
Kale Chane are one of the best source of proteins for vegetarians, the rich source of fiber, minerals like iron, potassium, calcium. Fiber content helps regulate blood-sugar levels in people suffering from diabetes, provides folate to pregnant women preventing birth defects, strengthens bones and aids in weight loss. These are a few of the benefits of these nutritious beans that are the powerhouse of energy and minerals!!
Let’s get to see how I make this.
Chatpate Kale Channe
- 11/2 Cup Kale Chane
- 1 Cup Yogurt/Curd
- 2 Tbsp Besan/Chickpea Flour
- 1 Tej Patta/Bay Leaf
- 1" Cinnamon stick
- 1-2 Black Cardamom
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Amchoor Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- Fresh Coriander for Garnish
- Salt to Taste
- 1-2 tbsp Ghee/Oil
- Soak Kale Chane(Black Chickpeas) overnight or at least for 5-6 hrs.
- Discard the water and put Chane in the pressure cooker with enough water with salt, and cook Chane till 4-5 whistles. Take off the flame and wait for the pressure to release.
- Mix besan and other dry spices in yogurt/curd with little water, and keep aside. Take care that are no lumps formed.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Let it splutter. You can use oil also, desi ghee ads a nice flavor to Indian dishes.
- Add the whole dry spices(cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, black pepper). Roast for few seconds till it gives aroma.
- Add besan/ chickpea mixture to the pan and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Add chana and mix well. Add salt as per your taste and adjust the water as per the consistency you like. This time I made on the drier side with little gravy.
- Garnish with chopped onions(optional) and coriander and serve hot.
I made these chatpate Kale Chane with Stuffed Aloo Kulchas. Try this different combination and trust me you will want to make this again.
So do make Jaisalmeri Kale Chane or Chatpate Kale Chane for everyday meals or on any auspicious occasions and get togethers to perk up your festivities. These go well will Pooris and Ajwain Paranthas or Methi Paranthas also!!
I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Related recipes.. Kale Chane for Ashtami Prasad
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!
If you like the recipe please rate it and give your feedback in comments section. Also, do follow my blog for more yummy recipes coming your way!!
Thanks for stopping by!!