Winters are the time when all you need is something warm and comforting, and there is nothing comforting than a bowl of soup with garlic bread on the side. I try to make wholesome soups for dinner, kind of one bowl meals as these are one of the best ways for me to sneak in multiple veggies in one bowl for my kids. This Butternut Squash and Tomato soup with Red lentils(Dhuli Masoor Dal) is healthy nutritious and is ready in under 15 minutes total, in my Instant Pot or any pressure cooker.
It’s been a month that I got Instant Pot, and I am trying out various dals, curries, soups in the Instant Pot. Yesterday I made this Butternut Squash and Tomato in my Instant Pot. The soup has the goodness of Butternut Squash, tomatoes, ginger and garlic and is spiced with Indian garam masala, turmeric for immunity against colds and infections and protein-rich Red lentils!! Red Lentils add so much flavor and structure to the soup. Pureeing the soup makes it creamy without adding any dairy like cream or milk. Butternut Squash makes it extra creamy and gives it a hint of sweetness and tomatoes add to the tanginess in soup.
Butternut squash with its sweet flavored like pumpkin and is a great source of omega 3s and beta-carotene. It’s also an excellent source of various vitamins like vitamin A, C & B-6 and minerals such as manganese, copper, potassium and folate. The health benefits of tomato are known to all. A rich source of lycopene, carotenoids and anti-oxidants. Red Lentils are a great source of protein, especially for the vegetarians and vegans. Health benefits of Red Lentils include improved digestion, healthy heart functioning, helps in weight loss and is good for a healthy nervous system. Most of my soups are red lentil based, as this gets very quickly cooked along with other vegetables, unlike other lentils that take long to cook. Enjoy the simple and easy soup recipe with these highly nutritious ingredients.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup with Red Lentils
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash
- 4-5 Tomatoes Finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red Lentils
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Red Onions
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1-2" Stick/piece Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala or Curry Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Powder/Cayenne Pepper or as required
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper or as required
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder optional
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1-2 tsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak red lentils in water for 10 minutes. Finely chop ginger and garlic. chop tomatoes and onions if sing whole onion. Add only half of it.
- Switch on the Instant Pot in saute mode. Set the timer for 5 mins. to medium heat.
- Add oil when it is hot enough, add finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute till light pink.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cubed butternut squash and soaked red lentils.
- Add the spices(garam masala/curry masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder) and salt.
- Add water. I added around 2-3 cups of water initially, then can add more water as per required consistency of soup.
- Cancel the saute mode, and switch to pressure cook mode. Cover the lid and seal. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, do a quick release, open the lid and blend the soup with the immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender until creamy and smooth.
- Serve the hot soup with garnished with cheese/ nuts of choice with some garlic bread or steamed rice or on it's own.
Add some fun to soup for kids, serve the soup with some goldfish crackers for the crunch factor in the soup.
- Pls Note.. one pic showing the Instant Pot Pressure cook setting to 5 mins is missing.. will update soon.
- Also, I have the Instant Pot Ultra Model, but these setting work for cooking the soup in other models as well. Only the display screen of Ultra is different than the earlier models.
- Also pls note, soup cooking time is 5 mins,it takes time to build in pressure in pressure cooker and then release, so all included takes a total of 15 minutes to cook the soup.
- I use fresh tomatoes to make the soup, you can use canned tomato paste or canned diced tomatoes in it.
- Also, I usually blend the soup to a creamy consistency, you can leave chunks of tomato and butternut for a kind of chunky soup.
- I buy diced butternut squash from store to avoid peeling and cutting, and it is easier and quicker to use in recipes.
- Adding some grated cheese or some greek yogurt on the top will add up to the creaminess and taste of the soup, especially for the kids.
- You can add some pasta to it to make more filling but trust me the soup is in itself quite filling.
- Make it a little thicker and you can use it as pasta sauce to your favorite pasta. And since the soup is so creamy, there will be no need to add any cream to it.
- Adjust the consistency of the soup to make it thicker or thinner.
- This comforting bowl of goodness can be enjoyed with garlic bread or some steamed rice on the side.
- The soup can be frozen for 2-3 days.
Hope you like my version of this Butternut Squash, Tomato Soup with Red Lentils perfect for time s when you need something that is easy and simple to make with all the right healthy ingredients. Do make this comforting bowl of goodness and give me your feedback.
My post for Day 1 Week 1 #96 Blogging Marathon.. Winter Warmer for Kids was Besan aur Badam Ke Ladoo(Chickpea Flour and Almond Sweet Balls).
Check out other soup recipes from the blog..
Do give me your feedback and when you make this do post a pic on any of my social media pages.. FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use. You can also find my recipes on Google+. It will a small token of your appreciation for my work and keeps me motivated to bring good, authentic, tried and tested recipes to you.
Join me in my FoodTrails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work, do share my blog with your loved ones.