Quinoa Kheer Recipe | Learn how to make Vegan and Gluten-free Quinoa Kheer/Pudding for breakfast or dessert time
Healthy, Protein rich Kheer/ Pudding with the goodness of Quinoa and Coconut Milk.
Disclaimer: Post contains affiliate links
Kheer Indian Pudding is one of the most popular dessert that is made on special occasions in India.Here I bring you it’s more nutritious version with the Superfood Quinoa.
For those with lactose intolerance or those who have turned to vegan lifestyle this one is a perfect dessert to relish on special occasions or even have for breakfast as porridge. Or for those who want to avoid rice in their diets. Now even you can relish desserts with a more healthy and nutritious twist.
There a many variations to kheer which vary from region to region. In North India milk based desserts are known as Kheer. Like Vermicelli Kheer(Jave), Makhane Ki Kheer(Fox Nut Milk Pudding with nuts), Paneer ki Kheer, Apple Kheer, Sama ke Chawal (Barnyard Millet) and Carrot Kheer and many more.
Traditionally Rice Kheer is prepared with rice and dairy milk with nuts and raisins.Here is the recipe for Indian Rice Pudding or Chawal ki Kheer. Rice along with milk is cooked in an open pot, till the rice grains are cooked broken in small bits and milk is thickened just like pudding consistency.
The best thing about this Quinoa pudding is that it is synthetic sugar-free, sweetened with figs . You can use even dates. I usually add Dates also but I ran out of dates yesterday when I prepared it. We like moderately sweet desserts, so you can adjust the amount of dates and figs or add any natural sweetener like jaggery powder/raw cane sugar preferred.
It is festival time with Thanksgiving in USA and Diwali for majority of Indians around the world.. and this one is a guilt free dessert that you can make for your special occasions.
Have it chilled in summers or during day and warm when chilly and cold. Top with nuts and raisins. When serving for breakfast, top with fresh fruits, chia or pumpkin seeds.
Using Quinoa for Pudding
Quinoa is the new age superfood. It is enriched with all the essential amino acids, iron and fibre along with minerals. though it is not our staple food but once in a while I like using in my cooking. I make this Moong Sprouted Moong and Quinoa Dos/Indian Crispy Crepes often for breakfast. Try this Quinoa Pulao with veggies if you want to avoid rice or want to have something different.
I make Quinoa Kheer with dairy milk . We eat it warm as porridge for breakfast or chilled at night during summers as dessert.
Cooking Kheer in Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
Quinoa is a seed and it takes quite a bit of time to cook. In open pot method, it takes about 30 mins. to cook. With the ease of Pressure Cooker / Electric Pressure Cooker(Instant Pot or Mealthy Pot) now cook creamy rich and delicious pudding without any fuss or watching over.
Advantages of using Instant Pot to make Quick and Instant Kheer
- No stirring, No danger of burning the kheer at bottom of pan, and no watching over.
- Just put all the ingredients in inner pan then set the timer.
I made in my IP Ultra, you can make it in your IP model also. Steps will be the same.
CLICK HERE to checkout other Instant Products
The taste and texture is much like Sweet Daliya Porridge/ Broken Wheat or Bulgar
Learn how to cook Quinoa in Instant Pot(link to be updated)
Detailed ingredients and Method in Recipe Card
Ingredients for Quinoa Kheer
Quinoa– Organic Quinoa, Take the plain or with multi-colored seeds. It is very important to wash Quinoa 2-3 times before cooking it to get rid of the bitter Saponin coating.The texture of cooked quinoa blends so well with the kheer.. even your kids won’t be saying no to it once they taste it.
Coconut Milk– I had 2 packs of coconut milk(200 ml each), so I used it in place of dairy milk. I usually do not use coconut milk for puddings as my hubby is not much of a fan of it’s flavour except Thai curries. But even the kids liked nutty flavoured kheer with coconut milk. You can also use Almond milk for vegan option. Soy milk is also fine to use but I can’t comment on the taste as I don’t use it in my cooking.
Figs and Dates– Natural Sweeteners with additional health benefits.
Almonds– Adds To add the creamy rich texture. Soak and blanch Almonds and then make paste with soaked figs and dates. In place of Almonds you can use ¼ cup Almond meal.
Ghee/Oil– Roasted Quinoa in ghee or oil, this adds aroma to the pudding.
Cardamom Powder/Nutmeg for additional festive aroma and taste.
Optional- Raisins and more chopped nuts.
You can also add a few saffron strands for more festive appeal, when making for parties and get togethers.
Recipe Card for Quinoa Pudding
Quinoa Coconut Kheer
- Pressure Cooker(Instant Pot /Indian Style)
- ¼ Cup Quinoa
- 200 ml Coconut Milk or 8 oz pack
- 9-10 Almonds
- 9-10` Raisins
- 4-5 Dried Figs
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
Preparation for making Quinoa Kheer
- Soak almonds and fig in hot water for 10 mins. Soak dates also if using.
- After 10 mins, peel Almonds, and then grind figs and almonds to fine paste. Add little water if required.
- Wash Quinoa nicely 2-3 times in clean tap water. Soak in water and let it sit for about 10 -15 mins.
Instant Pot Method(Instant Pot Ultra)
- Drain water from Quinoa.
- Switch on the Instant Pot on SAUTE Mode for 5 mins.
- Add Quinoa with a tsp of coconut oil or if not vegan the you can use ghee, and roast till it gives a nutty aroma.
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode. Add Coconut Milk, ½ Cup water, Cardamom powder, Almond and Fig paste.
- Mix and close the lid.
- Switch on the PRESSURE COOK Mode for 3 mins. Then let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid, check for doneness. Check the sweetness of pudding. I do not add any other sweetener other than figs or date as these add sufficient sweetness to pudding . But if you want you can add jaggery powder/grated jaggery or any raw cane sugar, as required.
- If the pudding is too thick for you, add ½ cup more coconut milk or water as required and then cook for another 3-4 mins on SAUTE Mode.
- Top with more chopped nuts. Serve hot or chilled.
Stove-top /Indian Pressure Cooker Mode
- Switch on the stove top on medium flame.
- Add a tsp of ghee/coconut oil(vegans) and roast Quinoa on medium flame, till it gives nutty aroma.
- Add coconut milk, ½ Cup water, cardamom powder, almond and fig paste.
- Close the lid and cook for 2-3 whistles on Medium flame. For 2-3 mins, keep the flame on low and let it cook.
- Switch of the stove-top. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Check the sweetness and adjust the consistency. Add ½ more of Coconut milk or water. Cook for another 2-3 mins, do not put the lid.
- Top with more chopped nuts and serve hot or chilled.
Do make this Gluten-free, Vegan and nutritious pudding for breakfast or for special occasions. Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!