Matar Ki Kachori recipe with Whole Wheat flour and green peas with traditional deep frying and new age Air Fry method(Recipe Video included)
Crispy Flaky Matar Ki Kachori, a delicious North Indian snack filled with spicy peas filling and best enjoyed with chutneys and potato curry.
Kachoris are flaky deep fried Indian pastries with various fillings(savoury and sweet).
Savoury Kachoris are stuffed with various spicy fillings like urad dal(split black lentils), potatoes and onion mix. These are a popular breakfast and brunch or evening snack item in North Indian states like Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Haryana. In many places ,you can see stalls of sweets shops and vendors during early morning hrs or evening chai time.
In Uttar Pradesh, where I come from, Dal ki Kachoris(with Lentil filing) are very popular. We also love Rajasthani Pyaaz Ki Kachori served with special Kadhi these are one of my favourite.
Then there is a sweet version.. The Famous Mawa Kachori from Rajasthan, filled with sweet milk solids and nuts filling.
Khasta Kachoris is the term mainly used for any type of kachoris. Khasta means flaky and crispy at the same time. Pastries are deep fried in low medium oil till light brown to get the Khasta effect.
Since these are deep fried we usually do not indulge in Kachori binge on usual days/weekends. Since my family loves it so I do make a point to make any of the Kachori type on festive occasions.
What is Matar Ki Kachori
Matar ki Kachoris are famous throughout India. In U.P whole wheat flour is used for the pastry whereas in West Bengal, all purpose flour is used and these are known Askoraishutir Kochuri Or Motor Shutir Kochuri.
Matar ki Kachori is especially made during winters when fresh seasonal peas are availabe. But you can always make these with frozen peas. We love to have these with spicy Rassewale Aloo ki Subzi(no onion no garlic) that is my family’s favourite, and with sweet and tangy Tamarind Chutney and Green chutney.
Whenever I make these I always make a few extra, which we enjoy next day with our evening tea.
Can I make Matar Ki Kachoris a day before serving
These are best when served hot pipping straight after frying but you can always make these 2-3 hrs before serving time or a day in advance and refrigerated.
Before serving you can reheat these in oven or even in Air Fryer and serve. I won’t recommend using microwave for reheating as these turn soggy as soon as out of microwave and then after few minutes harden as these cool down.
In case you do not have oven simply keep these in a preheated pan and then keep the pan at low heat and warm these for a few minutes. Take are the flame should not be on high, as these may burn also.
How to make Matar ki Kachori
To make any type of Kachori we need to make dough for party or outer covering. And make filling.
Keep few points to keep in mind while kneading the dough and you will get perfect Khasta Matar ki Kachori..
Making Moien for the dough(preparing the flour with mixing oil/ghee) is very important. Oil/ghee should be mixed into the flour till the mix. resembles breadcrumbs.
Do not knead a very tight dough. It should be pailabe and soft. If dough is tight, kachoris will tear up while frying.
Knead dough with cold water, it adds to the flakiness in the dough.
To make filling, coarsely grind the peas and then cook in spices. Do not add any water while cooking peas.
Can I make these in Air Fryer or bake in Oven
If you are on a restricted diet(low oil) you can make these conveniently in AIR FRYER and Oven.
Follow the same steps for making dough, stuffing and filling the stuffing in kachori.
Then brush with oil and air fry or bake in a preheated oven at 350 ºF or 180°C—REFER the RECIPE CARD for DETAILS
Watch out the Video recipe for detailed stepwise procedure for making Matar Ki Kachori
Recipe Card for Matar Ki Kachori
Matar Ki Kachori/Green Peas Kachori
For Pastery or Outer Covering
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain/Caraway Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Water for Kneading
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Oil/Desi Ghee
- Oil for Frying
For Spicy Peas Filling
- Cup Fresh Green Peas can use frozen also
- 2 tbsp Chickpea Flour optional
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1" Ginger Piece
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Hing/Asafetida
- 1 tsp Amchoor Powder/Dry Mango Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Kachori Masala
- 2 tsp Any good plant based Oil I use Mustard Oil
- Salt to taste
For Kachori Masala/Spice Mix
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- For Outer Pastry Covering
- In a mixing bowl add Whole Wheat Flour/Atta, Ajwain, salt and mix.
- Add oil to four and rub nicely with fingers, till flour mix is of breadcrumbs consistency.
- Knead to soft dough adding cold water little by little.
- Keep dough aside for 20 mins.
Make Kachori Masala
- Dry roast all the spices under kadhai masala and then coarsely grind. You can use coffee grinder/mixer or crush by rolling pin.
- Wash peas nicely and then grind to a coarse paste.
- In a pan or kadhai, add oil, then add cumin seeds, hing..
- Add coarse pea mix., then add kachori masala, red chilli powder, amchur/dry mango powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook peas 2-3 mins.
- Add chickpea flour and roast the pea and flour mix, till it gives aroma(nutty aroma of chickpea flour)
- Take off the heat and let it cool completely before filling in kachori.
- Divide the dough into tennis ball sized equal portions.
- Roll each portion in a small circular disc of about 2.5" diameter. Refer video recipe.
- Keep spoonful of filling in middle of rolled dough, then get together the sides, seal the dough tightly, remove extra dough.
- Do not over stuff Kachoris.
- Gently roll without putting any pressure, else fulling will come out of the dough.
- Likewise repeat for all the portions. Keep rest of the rolled kachoris covered with a damp kitchen cloth ,else outer covering will dry out.
- Meanwhile. heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan/kadhai.
- Check if the oil is hot enough to cook kachori. Put a small portion of dough in hot oil. Add kachori if it rises slowly to the top,
- Add rolled kachoris to hot oil(as much as can fit in) and fry on medium low flame till light brown from both sides.
- Take out an keep on a paper kitchen towel, to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with Aloo ki Subzi or chutney of your choice.
Air Fryer/Oven Method
- Follow the same steps for making dough, stuffing and filling the stuffing in kachori.
- Then brush with oil and air fry or bake in a preheated oven at 350 ºF or 180°C and air fry/bake for 10 mins.
Do make these crispy flaky and delicious Kachoris for your get-togethers and festivities.
Few suggestions on Menu for Festivals and get togethers..(Click on the dish name for recipe)
Looking for Rice Pulao and Biryani recipes.. your can checkout here.. A-Z Biryani/Pulao Rice Recipes
Few of the Indian Dessert Ideas — Desserts/Mithai for Festivals
Linking my Matar ki Kachoris to my Foodie Group, Foodie Monday Bloghop, where all the participating members are celebrating the Festival of Colors.. Holi!!
Wish you and all your loved ones a Very Happy and Colorful Holi!!
Holi my favourite festival!! The Festival of Colors, the festival Welcoming Spring, the time of the year to relish our favourite Gujiya. Gujiya as synonymous to Holi!! I already have traditional Gujiya recipe and a Fusion Gujiya recipe with White Chocolate and Nutella and Nuts filling … Do checkout my detailed post on Festival of Holi and collection of recipes for Holi party or any get together– Holi Get Together!!
.Do make these for your Holi party. With some preparations you can make ahead of your Holi Celebrations and then can relish these with chutneys of your choice. Kachoris are crowd pleases and are a favourite among all the age groups.
Whenever you make it do give me your feedback in comments. Any queries are welcomed and you can share here or on my Facebook page. You can post your feedback with the pic of on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!