Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Red Lentils Soup recipe with anti inflammatory ingredients | How to make warm and comforting soup with the goodness of Butternut Squash, Tomatoes and Red Lentils in Instant Pot
This Butternut Squash and Tomato soup with Red lentils(Dhuli Masoor Dal) is healthy nutritious and is ready in under 15 minutes, in Instant Pot or any pressure cooker.
Winters are the time when all you need is something warm, comforting and immunity boasting. And there is nothing comforting than a bowl of soup with garlic bread on the side. I try to make wholesome soups for dinner, kind of one bowl meals as these are one of the best ways for me to sneak in multiple veggies in one bowl for my kids.
About the Recipe
This Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Red Lentil soup has the goodness of Butternut Squash, tomatoes, ginger and garlic. Flavored with spices like Indian garam masala, turmeric for immunity against colds and infections and protein-rich Red lentils!! The soup is also helpful for healing when you are recovering from any sickness or cold and cough or fever.
Red Lentils add so much flavor and structure to the soup. Pureeing the soup makes it creamy without adding any dairy like cream or milk. Butternut Squash makes it extra creamy and gives it a hint of sweetness and tomatoes add to the tanginess in soup.
Benefits of Butternut Squash, Tomatoes and Red Lentils
Butternut squash is sweet flavored like pumpkin and is a great source of omega 3s and beta-carotene. It’s also an excellent source of various vitamins like vitamin A, C & B-6 and minerals such as manganese, copper, potassium and folate.
Health benefits of tomato are known to all. A rich source of lycopene, carotenoids and anti-oxidants. Red Lentils are a great source of protein, especially for the vegetarians and vegans.
Red Lentils include improved digestion, healthy heart functioning, helps in weight loss and is good for a healthy nervous system.
Enjoy the simple and easy soup recipe with these highly nutritious ingredients.
Reasons to make this creamy Butternut Squash and Lentils soups in Instant Pot
- It is a one pot recipe. Suitable for Vegans, those on Gluten-free diets.
- It contains very less oil, just a tsp.
- Loaded with health friendly ingredients. Protein rich lentils, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties laden vegetables, herbs and spices.
- It is filling and nourishing.
- Feeds your whole family
- Freezes well for about a month and can be cooked for meal planning.
Advantages of Cooking in Instant Pot
Instant Pot is a wonderful kitchen gadget which is of great use when it comes to fuss-free one pot cooking.
I love using my Instant Pot Ultra for making dal, soups, pasta, rice/pilaf, proofing pizza dough and many more ways..
Do you know you can ferment your Dosa/Idli batter in Instant Pot and also use it to make rich and creamy Yogurt
Usually stove top cooking we need to keep a check on the no. of whistles. While cooking in IP simply set the timer and do your other work.
Then there is no spilling of dal water on counter, which is a common problem with pressure cooker.
We can cook two things together in with Pot in Pot(PIP) method, using stackable container for Instant pot. Will cover the PIP method of how I make Dal and Rice or Dal and subzi for the meal together.
Instant Pot Recipes from the blog that I love to make
Mix Vegetable Pulao, One Pot Creamy Spinach Pasta, Gajar Ka Halwa, Whole Wheat Pizza(Instant Pot Proofed Dough)
and for many more Instant Pot recipes .. CLICK HERE
Ingredients to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup
Vegetables/Produce-Butternut Squash or any Squash variety. You can also use soft Pumpkin cubes. Fresh Tomatoes, Ginger, Garlic and Red Onion. Chop the vegetables finely, it is easy to cook and puree.
Spices- To add flavour and make it more appetizing. Bay Leaf, Garam Masala/Curry Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Red Chilli Powder or Cayenne Powder, Salt as per taste. Freshly grind Black Pepper powder while serving the soup.
Others- Oil, Vegetable Stock or Water.
Pro Tips to relish this delicious creamy soup
- Adding some grated cheese or some greek yogurt(diary/vegan) on the top will add up to the creaminess and taste of the soup, especially for the kids.
- Add some pasta/macaroni to it to make more filling but trust me the soup is in itself quite filling.
- You can use this soup as pasta sauce to make your favorite pasta. Do adjust the liquid content to keep it sauce like consistency.
- I use fresh tomatoes to make the soup, you can use canned tomato puree or canned diced tomatoes.
- I buy diced butternut squash from store to avoid peeling and cutting and it is easier and quicker to use in recipes.
- Also, I usually blend the soup to a creamy consistency, you can leave chunks of tomato and butternut for a kind of chunky soup to have it with rice/quinoa or millets.
- This comforting bowl of goodness can be enjoyed with garlic bread or some steamed rice on the side. For Gluten-free option use Gluten-free bread.
Storing the leftovers
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container. Reheat in microwave ( 1-2 mins HIGH) or on stovetop in a pan till it boils. IF the soup becomes thick, add some water(optional).
Freeze it in portions for upto a month. Thaw and reheat the portions as required. Avoid freezing again thawed soup.
Can we make this Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup in Stovetop-Pressure Cooker
You can make this creamy rich soup with butternut squash and lentils in stove-top pressure cooker as well. It is a one pot recipe. Check the details in recipe card.
Stepwise pics to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
More filling, healthy soup recipes from the blog
Tomato and Moong Lentils Soup recipe
Tibetan Thukpa, Beetroot, Carrot and Tomato Soup(Instant Pot recipe), Lemon Coriander and Amla Soup, Vegetable Nachos Soup(Instant Pot Recipe), Chickpeas and Couscous soup and many more find here.. SOUPS
Recipe Card for Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup
Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup with Red Lentils
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash
- 4-5 Tomatoes Finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red Lentils
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Red Onions
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1-2" Stick/piece Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala or Curry Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Powder/Cayenne Pepper or as required
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper or as required
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder optional
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1-2 tsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak red lentils in water for 10 minutes. Finely chop ginger and garlic. chop tomatoes and onions if sing whole onion. Add only half of it.
- Switch on the Instant Pot in saute mode. Set the timer for 5 mins. to medium heat.
- Add oil when it is hot enough, add finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute till light pink.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cubed butternut squash and soaked red lentils.
- Add the spices(garam masala/curry masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder) and salt.
- Add water. I added around 2-3 cups of water initially, then can add more water as per required consistency of soup.
- Cancel the saute mode, and switch to pressure cook mode. Cover the lid and seal. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, do a quick release, open the lid and blend the soup with the immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender until creamy and smooth.
- Serve the hot soup with garnished with cheese/ nuts of choice with some garlic bread or steamed rice or on it's own.
Add some fun to soup for kids, serve the soup with some goldfish crackers for the crunch factor in the soup. To make the soup in the pressure cooker, add all the ingredients as per the recipe and cook the soup till 2-3 whistles. Blend the soup with immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender and serve hot.
Hope you like my version of this Butternut Squash, Tomato Soup with Red Lentils. It is perfect for the time when you need something that is easy and simple to make with all the right healthy ingredients. Do make this comforting bowl of goodness and give me your feedback.
Sending my Butternut Squash, Tomato Soup with Red Lentil to Angie's Friday Fiesta#257 where this week's co-hosts are Suzanne @ Frugal Hausfraualupinthekitchen and Kat @ Kat’s 9 Lives
Please do share your feedback if you find this post useful. And, if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!
what a healthy and delicious soup. I am yet to get an instant pot but it sure does make easy recipes like this come together so quickly.
A filling and comforting soup, perfect for the winter weather.
This soup has everything I like. Tomato, butternut squash and lentils are my favorite and I make soup separately with them. This is a great recipe to use all 3 in one.
Excellent soup and so perfect for the season!..
Wow, that is a hearty and delicious looking soup. Love the combination of butternut squash and tomato in there. Using Instant pot to make the soup sounds very convenient.
I hope you received my previous comment. This is a great soup with seasonal veggies. Love love instant pot. 🙂
Yummy soup with seasonal veggies and dal. Instant pot definitely makes cooking easy. Great share.
That is a wonderful hearty bowl of soup. With the dal.and squash it has turned out so creamy..
Wow! Perfect soup for the wintry weather around our neck of the woods. Love the combo of butternut squash and tomato.
This is such a boon for soup lovers. Nice recipe to have around. Thanks for posting on fiesta friday.
Soup looks just prefect to ourself warm and comforting.. Hearty soup there.
Such a comforting bowl of soup, those bowls looks hearty, healthy and pleasant to please ourself while the weather is too down.
Omg, those bowls of soup looks absolutely delicious, comforting and definitely a hearty soup to keep ourself comforting while the weather is too down.
Soup with lentils and squash ? Reminds me of the daal that I make with these two :)) interesting and wholesome soup .
The soup looks very creamy. Red lentils must have added a lot of flavor. Lovely color too.
I love butternut squash soup, but I have never added lentils to the soup! This looks so tasty! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday!