Navratri, the auspicious festival dedicated to Goddess Durga, is a nine-day period of worshiping and fasting by many Hindus in India and all over the world. Many people keep fast on the first and on the seventh or eighth days and many observe for all the seven/eight days. On the eighth day or ninth day known as Ashtami and Navami, people break their fasts and offer their prayers. Kale Chane and Sooji are Halwa are the main dishes that are made to offer Goddess. Little girls are treated to the Prasad of Halwa, Poori and Kale Chane and showered with small gifts.
Kale Chane or Black Chickpeas are boiled and tempered with Indian spices like cumin powder, coriander powder, red chillies and turmeric. It is a simple and delicious preparation, that is very nutritious and high in proteins. Black Chickpeas are very beneficial for people with high blood sugar levels as in Diabetics or high cholesterol.
Apart from making for Ashtami or Navami Prasad(offering for Goddess), one can have these for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Let's get on to the ingredients and method to make this delicious Kale Chane!!
Kale Chane for Asthmai Poojan
Kale Chane or Black Chickpeas are boiled and tempered with Indian spices like cumin powder, coriander powder, red chillies and turmeric. Made especially on Ashtami Poojan during Navratri
- Kale Chane(Black Chickpeas)--200 gms
- Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter)-- 1Tbsp
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds)--1 Tsp
- Haldi (Turmeric Powder)--1 Tsp
- Dhania (Coriander)Powder--1-2 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder--1 Tsp or as required
- Jeera (Cumin) Powder-- ½ Tsp
- Hing (Asafetodia)- ¼ Tsp
- Amchoor( Dry Mango Powder)--½ Tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Soak Kale Chane(Black Chickpeas) overnight or at least for 5-6 hrs.
- Discard the water and put Chane in the pressure cooker with enough water with salt, and cook Chane till 4-5 whistles. Take off the flame and wait for the pressure to release.
- Take out the Chane and keep the water aside, it can be used for adding in Chane or you can have it as soup. It is very nutritious.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add the dry masalas and saute for a few seconds. Take care not to burn the masala.
- Add the Chane to the masala and mix nicely so that the masala coats Chane. Cook for few minutes. Switch off the flame.
On Asthami/Navmi the eighth and the ninth day of Navratri, make Kale Chane for Prasad along with Sooji Ka Halwa (Semolina Pudding) and Poori(Fried Indian Flatbread) and offer to Goddess Durga and also to the eight/nine girls along with gifts of your choice.
Have an auspicious Asthami and Navmi Poojan!!!
Please leave your feedback in comments. Follow the blog for more such traditional and festive recipes.
Thanks for stopping by!!
Yummy.....swati I always try your recepies.....must say they are very easy to cook and everyone in my house loves them .... Tganks for sharing
Thanks for trying out the recipes and I am glad that u and all in ur family like it!!!